Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

Wherefore YA Sci-Fi?


Fresh off the heels of finishing the short story referred to in the previous post, I realize I have no idea what is meant by the cliché “fresh off the heels” or “fresh on the heels.” (Is it an inadvertant combination of “fresh off the presses” and “hot on the heels”?) George Orwell would shame me for saying that.

Let me start again: For the first time since roughly 2009, I have a finished, polished short story that I am ready to put into circulation. I wrote a few between then and now, but they were specialized for contests or based on weird prompts. The story at hand is the first I’ve written in years that was straight from the imagination, for no other reason than I had an idea and I wanted to write it down. Felt pretty damn good, if I do say so myself, and Present Me shall now say “nyah nyah” to Past Me who so recently denounced writing short stories.

Now I face the daunting task of beginning to submit my short story for publication.* This is a circle of hell with which I am intimately familiar; I am both looking forward to and dreading re-entry. Surfing Duotrope today (a wonderful, free alternative to Writers Market), I began narrowing down a list of publications to which to submit my first round. I’ll save my whinging about hard copy submissions for another post, but the target of this particular diatribe is one certain publication that came up in my search results for a publication open to soft science fiction short stories of about 4,000 words. [Anonymous Online Magazine] described its needs thusly: 
"We are looking for hard science fiction, soft science fiction, and everything in between. Think Jules Verne, Isaac Asimov, George Orwell or Ray Bradbury with a YA focus." 
“With a YA focus”? Okay, so when I was a “YA,” my YA fiction was Asimov, Orwell, and Bradbury—a lot of Bradbury. (Always and forever, a lot of Bradbury. Fahrenheit 451 fits neatly into the category of read this, like, now.) It should be no surprise that I was a bookworm as a kid. But the books I remember being affected by the most were not novels; they were short story anthologies—more specifically, sci-fi and fantasy anthologies that I rescued from a box of my father’s old books from his college days. I read TheIllustrated Man and The Martian Chronicles until they fell apart.

I used to sneak a copy of copy of Playboy’s 1966 Book ofScience Fiction and Fantasy into my 7th grade classes with a different cover on it, because I was embarrassed it said “Playboy” and I didn’t want to explain. The stories weren’t dirty, they weren’t graphic. But they made me feel something unexplainable deep inside, like there was something darker, bigger, stranger than myself out there, that there would always be something to be explored, both at the outreaches of the universe and the inner reaches of my soul. I lost my dad’s old paperback somewhere down the road, so a few years back, I tracked down a used copy just to read all the stories again. They were as good as I remembered. “The Fly” by George Langelaan! “I Remember Babylon” by Arthur C. Clarke! “The Vacation” by Bradbury is still to my mind one of the most perfect short stories I’ve ever read.

I don’t remember “YA” being its own genre when I was coming up. As a young adult, I read a few YA books: some were great; some were not so great. But they weren’t the books that turned me into a lifelong reader or a writer. Sure, it was nice to see someone like me in a book, but the books that dug in their claws and never let go were the ones that gave me a salty glimpse of what it was like to be a grown up and still be frightened, whether of what you might find on another planet or of what you might find in yourself.

This may not make me very many friends, but I have to confess that I don’t “get” the whole YA thing. I understand it as a marketing handle, but it ends there. I do believe that there are stories worth telling about characters under the age of 18. But I think it is absolutely essential that fiction not pander. Just like when a mother buys her child a coat or pair of shoes that’s just a little too big so there’s “room to grow,” children and teens should read stories that leave them room to grow. The best fiction shows us ourselves, but also shows us an “other,” so that we may experience the world outside ourselves. (As an aside, Max and Menna by Shauna Kelley is a terrific example of a book marketed as YA that does not pander to its audience whatsoever, but treats them as mature equals.)

As writers, it is not our job to tell our readers who they are by writing something “focused” on who we decide they are. Rather, our job is first to tell the truth, and then to let our readers discover their place in the world through the stories we tell.



*I feel I should explain why I would seek a publisher for my short story when I rally so vehemently against legacy publishing. I have my opinions on this matter, and explain I will, but let’s save that for a future post.

10 comments:

Maryah said...

Max and Menna is YA? I wouldn't have guessed.... Except that it does fit within my definition of YA, namely, "not R-rated." I remember reading in the YA section, only because my mother wouldn't let me read from the adult section unless the book had been read by a librarian who had read it herself and could assure my mother that there was nothing inappropriate in it. (Tho, that begs the question, is there anything that's still 'inappropriate' for the current batch of YA readers?) There are some YA books that still stand out for me (Shabanu, Robin McKinley's Beauty, Ursula K LeGuin). Mostly, tho, I remember chafing at my mother's Puritanical dictate, itching to get to the 'real' stuff!

Jeremy Bates said...

Honestly, classifying writers somewhat limits their audience. Would you really say Orwell was a YA writer?

Elly Zupko said...

Maryah - You bring up some really interesting points that crossed my mind as well. YA is not only a sales handle, but I suppose it's also a tool for helping parents choose books for their kids that they don't have to read first. Parents should also realize they can't censor everything about their child's lives, and even if they can, it will only be to their detriment. Some of the most interesting adults I know where the kids who were sneaking into R-rated movies and bringing in dirty books to pass around the lunch table.

Jeremy - That is my point exactly! I don't think young adult readers should be coerced into reading only books labeled "YA." Orwell was NOT a YA writer, but there's no reason a teen can't or shouldn't read Animal Farm and 1984. It would be time better spent than reading, say, The Hunger Games.

Amanda Virkus said...

I blame Twilight.

Anonymous said...

I tried writing a YA novel. I really did. I thought, "I'm going to give this a shot, writing specifically for a teenaged audience."

Then I realized, about seventy pages in, that there was more violence, blood and guts, more sexual encounters, and more torture than I'd ever inflicted on any other characters I'd ever written.

The fact was, in writing for a "young adult" audience, I realized that there wasn't much else they *shouldn't* be able to read than I do. Like you, Elly, I was reading Stephen King, Poe, and other "disturbing" works when I was in fifth and sixth grade. My gentle mind could handle it.

I've never much believed in the distinction, and truly didn't believe in it after I tried (and failed) to write for it. It didn't work. Young adults are almost adults. It's not my job as a writer to cater to their market-induced needs; it's the parent's job to decide if they want to let their son or daughter read what I wrote, despite its violence and subject matter.

A GREAT post! Thanks for making me think!

Elly Zupko said...

Manda - Me toooooo. :) Actually, Harry Potter probably started it, in recent memory, but Twilight brought it to a new low.

Rance - I can NOT imagine you writing YA, lol. But in a way, your stuff would probably be perfect for the malleable teenaged mind. As a writer, as a parent, as a governing bod, censorship is lose-lose. Either you fail at keeping everything from a kid, or you succeed at it and fail at contributing to him becoming an interesting, intellectually curious person.

My current novel-in-progress has a 17-yo protagonist, and I toyed with the idea of marketing it as YA. But I decided that I was AS interested in exploring the life of her mother and of her 45-yo gay entomologist pen pal. So it no longer fits into the neat little YA box. Oh well.

Maryah said...

Now, I actually thought that Harry Potter was an excellent use of the YA label, because Rawlings wrote about pre-teens (and eventually teenagers) in a way that was linguistically interesting to pre-teens while still engaging older and younger readers. But how many 13-year-old boys would have picked up a 400-page Harry Potter book if it had been wedged between Ransome and Rawlins on the adult shelves? It would've gotten lost.

But even though I wrote it yesterday, I actually think YA as a screening tool for parents may well have lost its meaning in the last decade. When I look through the YA section now, there's as much sex and violence as in the adult section. There was an argument among authors a month or so ago about whether it wasn't important to address those issues when kids are living with them anyway ... but that's another story!

Elly Zupko said...

Maurice Sendak weighs in via Art Speigelman: http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17m0490xuxmh9png/original.png

Elly Zupko said...

Maryah - I totally agree about Harry Potter! It WAS YA and it was great! I meant that I blame it because it was such a successful book for children that legacy publishing got it in their heads that it would be a good idea to turn an age bracket into a genre. I think that was the turning point when YA became a genre, a marketing handle, and a machine.

Maryah said...

Sometimes I feel like the only serious writer who will acknowledge JK Rowling's genius. I'm glad we agree on that.