Pages

Monday, April 28, 2008

A Brief Commentary on my Previous Tax Post

I know I posted all that without supporting my negative opinion of the taxes. So here's a very, very brief commentary.

1) They are not all bad. I will support any increase in tobacco taxes simply because, come on: quit already, you douche. You're killing yourself. It's a deterrant tax, and that's okay with me. Simimlarly, I support taxes that help balance out environmental impact.

But many of these are excessive, inappropriate taxes for taxes' sake. I agree with Lisa: you want to tax gastric bypass surgery? How about putting an extra tax on trans-fat containing food, instead? (deterrant tax)

2) They just raised our sales tax by 20%. That wasn't enough?

3) The Maryland State Legislature has been debating naming a state dessert.

Maryland State Legislature, don't you dare add more taxes so you and your wankerous companions can charge the state $17,184 a day to debate cake.

Simultaneously, another bill argues that 31 percent of Marylanders get no exercise, that almost a quarter of the state's adults are rated as obese, and that designating walking as the state exercise would help promote a healthy lifestyle. Um, how about not designating a state dessert then??

This is the bullshit they're spending our tax dollars on.

Until they come up with better ways to spend my money, I'm going to continue to begrudge giving it to them.

No comments: